Not to toot my own horn here, but I’ve been told that I make great salads. It’s probably because I love to eat salad and I love to order them at restaurants. It’s one of those foods where anything goes and there are unlimited combinations. They’re typically a healthy choice, but of course a salad can be just as bad as a Big Mac if your combination includes unhealthy add-ins, the most common being the salad dressing. A lot of store-bought dressings contain a ton of sodium, preservatives and modified ingredients, which can turn the healthiest combination of lettuce and veggies into a healthy diet disaster.
The the best way to ensure your salad is healthy AND delicious, is to make your own salad dressing. I’ve been making this homemade dressing for years now and every time someone new tries it, they’re instantly in love. It only takes about five minutes to make and can keep in the fridge for a few days. I typically use it for a garden salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomato and red pepper, but it works for tons of other salads as well. Take a garden salad, add some feta and kalamata olives and you have a delicious Greek salad with this dressing; chop some veggies and add chickpeas and BAM! you have an amazing chickpea salad topped with this dressing. Throw some cooked quinoa in that chickpea salad, and DOUBLE BAM! you have a healthy quinoa chickpea salad. Try it out and let me know what you think!
The Best Salad Dressing You’ll Ever Make
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp cracked pepper (or about 15-20 turns of your pepper mill)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add the first 7 ingredients (everything but the olive oil) to a bowl and give it a quick stir
- Grab a wire whisk and slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking and emulsifying the dressing
- DONE! (I like to let the dressing sit for at least 15 minutes to an hour before tossing it in with my salad, to let the garlic and the flavours mix, but if you don’t have the time just throw it on your salad.)